Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Determining

I was always a very studious person, more studious than the average kid. From a young age, I knew I wanted to be successful and have straight A’s.
My struggles with reading comprehension and writing would soon bring those dreams crashing down. When I was little, I always did horrible with Language Arts, but I loved it. I hated math and science, but it was definitely my strength. I always scored off the charts in state testing for math and average for English.
From the day I realized I struggled with English, I pushed myself even harder until I was good at it. That was when I started sucking at math, and I classify that as the best moment of my life. I knew my parents would no longer pressure me into doing anything math or science related.
I really didn’t realize my weakness in English until fifth grade. In my fifth grade class, we had these newspapers we had to read and do assignments with. One assignment was a creative writing thing where we had to create a new continent and describe the people that live there.
I spent forever writing this story and I was so incredibly proud of the piece I’d written. I called it “Hanterstein,” and everyone lived outdoors and raised Bengal Tigers. It focused around two people, Kirsa and Bryan, best friends working to save the tigers from evil hunters. I thought it was clever, original, creative, and was very proud of the piece I’d written.
Unfortunately, my teacher, Shirley Lee, did not feel the same way. I was expecting all of these congratulatory comments to fill the page. That didn’t happen. Instead, there was a big fat “C” on the top of the assignment.
She didn’t even give me any reasons why, there were no comments on the page or anything. I was offended.
It was the most painful feeling I’d felt in ten years. First of all, it was a “C” and second of all, I’d tried so super hard at this assignment.
That was the moment I decided I wanted to be a writer. I am usually one of those people who when you tell me I did something wrong, I never do that thing again. I give up. But with writing, it was a different story. I enjoyed it.
I struggled with it, getting lower scores in it than anything else, but I eventually pushed myself up to AP level English. I joined the newspaper at my school and got an internship at a local newspaper, getting an above the fold story before age 17. It was then that I crossed journalist off of my list. For a while I didn’t know where that left me standing as a writer. I still don’t necessarily know where I stand as a writer, but I am curious to see where I will go with my writings.
To this day, I don’t think I deserved to get a C. Maybe if I hadn’t, however, I wouldn’t have realized I wanted to be a writer and I wouldn’t have pushed myself so hard. Who knows? Maybe I would have accepted math and science as my strengths and pushed myself harder in those subjects.
So, in a way, I really have to be thankful to Shirley Lee for giving me that C on the assignment. Without it, I’m almost scared to know where I would be.
I still have the intentions of making my “continent” into a story. It’s a little different now, there are no tigers, for one, but I am still just as proud of my creativity as I was back then.

2 comments:

  1. She could be a hard grader for no reason. I got a D on a science project I worked so hard on and was so proud of.

    Glad that you kept it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but was it the moment that changed your life and made you realize you wanted to become a scientist? No, didn't think so...
    Haha, just kidding. Yes, she was a hard grader! She gave me a C on my science fair project and judges gave me "Best in Show" and I took my project to District finals, where it lost, but she gave me a C.

    ReplyDelete