Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Office (no, not the tv show)

This is loosely based on a true story. When I say loosely I mean loosely... I shouldn't even say that. maybe I should just say, based on emotions? what this is based on didn't even take place in an office. okay, storyline is partially true. I don't even know how to explain it.... wait, I did have a second period English class, one true thing. They all thought my name was Jill...? I guess that is better than Stephanie being, "wait, your name isn't DeLacy?"

This used to be part of a bigger story. This scene has been toyed around with soooo many times, and when I eventually found a working draft of the bigger story, this just didn't fit anymore... the girl in this story ends up not being the main character and she ends up being a biotch, who ends up going crazy and the guy ends up being a loser jerk. In the original, she was the cute little naive girl sitting in the office and he was the sweet as can be guy. No, how they ended up in the actual working draft is not how the people the characters are based on ended up in real life...

oh, religious power struggle part 2 is coming soon... and part 3...




The Office


It's kind of funny how immature high school kids actually are. Even the smart ones. Everyone always thought I was one of the more mature ones, when in reality, I was one of the most immature ones.

The day when this all starts is no exception to my immaturity. Mitch Cavanaugh, the (hot) office aide, came in to my chaotic second period English classto bring one of those notes that gets people out of class because they are in trouble. My entire class, being the extremely nosey kids that we were, all watched the teacher scan the name on the paper and stand up. We watched her every move, trying to figure out who she would be delivering it to before it was actually delivered.

She seemed to be walking towards Melissa (obviously, it had to be her. It has been rumoed that she was the one doing donuts on the baseball field) and the teacher shocked us all when she walked right by her.

So, then, the only other obvious suspect that was in Melissa's general section was Steven (the kid who always got caught smoking pot). But the teacher walked by him too.

The teacher got closer and closer to me until it became obvious that she was going to stop at my desk. I could feel my heart beating super fast as I tried to recall anything that I had ever done wrong. All I could think of was that Freshman year I had chewed gum in band, but I doubted that is what I could be getting into trouble for.

I figured the slip of paper could just be informing me of a fine that I had forgotten about or something. It all depended on the box on the paper. If it said, "at teacher's convenience," (which no one had ever actually seen that box checked) it meant that I wasn't in trouble, but if it said "at once," (which is the only box that I'd ever seen checked) it would mean I was in trouble.

She dropped the paper on my desk. The box that said, "at once," was checked. I was shaking. For a second, I thought the teacher just didn't know my name because I was the quiet kid in the back, but I glanced down at the paper and, sure enough, the name written on it was mine, Lexeigh Carter. I picked up my bags and started to head out of the classroom.

My heart pounded and I could feel tears forming as I left the classroom. What the hell had I done wrong?

I saw the office aide and I ran in an attempt to catch up with him.

"Mitch, do you know what this is in regards to?" I frantically asked.

"It probably means you did something wrong," he said, thinking. "But if you don't know what it is, I am sure it's no big deal. Probably something minor. Hey, don't I know you from somewhere? You look familiar."

"No, I don't think we have officially met, but I'm Lexeigh. I know you because you are the office aide and everyone knows the office aide." I consider sarcasm my strong point. Unfortuanately, people don't see me as a sarcastic person because I have that "serious look." I knew Mitch because I'd gone to school with him since kindergarten.

"Oh, ya, huh." It's really sad that he believed that people knew him solely because he was the office aide. "Well, Lexeigh, I am sure it's nothing. Don't freak out, it's okay."

We were now at the office. I glanced at the uncomfortable blue seats that were meant for the troublemakers to sit and wait in. These were the chairs me and Emma had named the "troublemaker seats," before vowing to never sit in them. Here goes that friendship down the drain.

There was one other kid in the "troublemaker seats." He had his hood pulled over his head, his sleeves over his hand, and his music was way too loud. But it was good music, Linkin Park's "Papercut."

I figured I might as well make conversation while I was here, so, I pulled out a piece of paper and wrote, "I like Linkin Park too," and passed it to this kid sitting next to me in the "troublemaker seats."

He read it and then looked up at me, took his hood off and smiled. It was a smile I will surely never forget. I can't even describe it, but it was amazing because it was genuine, which is rare to come by in this world anymore. I am not even going to deny it, I knew based on that smile that I had feelings for him and he hadn't even spoken yet.

He pushed up his sleeve and stuck out his hand to introduce himself. "Chase."

I shook his hand. "Lexeigh."

He handed me an earbud just in time for the song, "Numb," to come on, which just happens to be my favorite song.

We sat there just listening and enjoying the music until the principal came out of the office with a very stern look on her face and said, "Chase. My office now. Lose the ipod."

Hey took his other earbud out and handed me his ipod. "Here, Lex, hold onto it. It will just gaurantee that I have to see you again."

All I could say in that moment was, "Hey, the name is Lexeigh." I guess my manners left me when I sat in the troublemakers seats.

The counselor called me into his office. He explained that he was new and just wanted to introduce himself to all of the students he would possibly be working with. I asked him why he checked the "at once" box. He chuckled and said that it was completely by mistake. But I can't help but wonder: was it a mistake or was it fate?

Later, back in second period English, Steven asked me what I did wrong.

"Everything and nothing at the same time."

No comments:

Post a Comment